A permanent account number is a ten-character alphanumeric identifier, issued in the form of a laminated “PAN card”, by the Indian Income Tax Department, to any “person” who applies for it or to whom the department allots the number without an application. It can also be obtained in the form of a PDF file and the steps on how to download your PAN Card online while sitting at home has been explained in this particular article.
The PAN Card number will remain the same on account of change of your address also, it stays unaffected throughout India. PAN card helps the Income Tax Department trace transactions and ensure the payment of taxes on time by the citizens. A PAN card also acts as an identity proof. And it can be downloaded easily online also. For carrying out a few transactions like buying of mutual funds, receiving taxable salary, professional fees, sale or purchase of any property upto certain limits, makes it mandatory to have a PAN number of the person taking on such financial transactions.
What is e-PAN?
e–PAN is a digitally signed PAN card issued in electronic format by the Income Tax Department using Aadhaar e-KYC. Once you apply, you will receive a 15- digit acknowledgement number which is generated on submitting an online application for PAN. It can be used to track your PAN card on e- filing portal.PAN card can be availed only by individuals and the digital version of the PAN card will be accepted as a valid proof. The PAN card will consist of details like your name, date of birth, gender etc.. There will also be a QR code for verification purposes in offline mode and also includes biometric of the person, signature and scanned photograph. The eligibility for getting a PAN (Permanent Account Number) card is, you must have an Aadhaar card issued by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) containing your correct details relating to your date of birth, address etc. and also your mobile number must be registered with the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) database. The most important point of all is the applicant’s age must be 18 years or above.
How to download a PAN (Permanent Account Number) Card online?
Steps to download PAN card (Instant) online:
- Visit the Income Tax website https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home and click on ‘Instant PAN through Aadhaar’.
- Apply for an Instant e- PAN card through Aadhaar card. And click on ‘Get new PAN’ option.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and Captcha code.
- There’s an option called ‘Generate Aadhaar OTP’, click on it.
- Enter OTP and PAN application window will be opened wherein your details like: name, address, contact details will be auto- filled as per your Aadhaar card entered details.
- Verify your mobile number and email through OTP. On entering the OTP your application will be submitted and on submission you will receive a 15- digit acknowledgement number for future tracking purposes.
- After a while go to the same website and click on Instant PAN through Aadhaar and you will get to see an option called ‘Check status/ download PAN’, enter your Aadhaar and Captcha code and ‘submit’ after which you will get your e- PAN card.
The QR code on your PAN will contain details related to you like your full name, residential address, date of birth, Aadhaar number. In cases, where your PAN card is either lost or damaged, then not to worry, details or number will not change and you can download your e- PAN anytime through the Income Tax website.